Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Stay-at-home Dad? - Posted by Chris

I've recently been reading some posts of bloggers who are SAHDs (Stay-at-home Dads); blogs like A Family Runs Through It. These bloggers have me thinking about whether or not I have to mettle to be a SAHD or not.

Occasionally I play this role when my wife has to work on Saturday or Sunday. I think I do a pretty good job. My son makes it though the day mostly unscathed (he's a boy, bumps and bruises are his life). He gets breakfast, lunch, a nap and we even make trips to the Tool Store (Home Depot) sometimes.

What makes me question if I could be a Stay-at-home Dad full time is that sometimes after a day or two of "practice", I find it hard to imagine doing it every day. I love my son and I love spending time with him but I'm not sure that I'm cut out to be the primary caregiver. I tend to be a no-nonsense parent (I probably get this from my Dad) and while I believe there is a place for my style of parenting, I also think that young children more often need the patience and understanding that my wife shows my son.

0 comments: