Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Hello. My name is Lisa, and I'm a geeky parent. - Posted by Lisa

Remember when you were growing up and came to the realization that your parents were a bit weird...a little embarassing...geeky even? Come on, you know you do. And remember how you swore that when you were older and had kids of your own, that you'd NEVER subject your own children to the embarassment of having a dork for a parent? You were going to be the "cool" parent.

Well in the past two years since our son was born, I (and to be fair, Chris as well) have officially become geeks.

I say this, not as a bad thing. I'm actually pretty proud of my dorkiness as a mom. After all, I think (at least while Christopher is little) that this is one of the things that makes Chris and I good parents to our son. It's the willingness to take ourselves lightly, and to make Christopher laugh, without fear of appearing too weird to others. It's kind of freeing really, not to worry all that much what others think when you're making a fool of yourself.

So, in the interest of full disclosure, I decided to list the reasons that Christopher thinks (right now) Chris & I are the coolest parents alive, and yet in the future will think we are the biggest nerds on the planet. This is by far not an exhaustive list. I'm sure Chris could easily chime in with some more (and I welcome him to do so). But it's what I can come up with right now, so here goes:

  1. While helping him into his pajamas before bedtime, we occasionally like to break into "song." Our favorite? A rather (ahem) brilliant rendition of "U Can't Touch This (Hammer Time)" by M.C. Hammer...except in our version, it's "Jammie Time."
  2. Since I'm on the subject of annihilating rap lyrics...while changing his diaper, in order for him to help me gain better access to his backside ;) I'll start chanting "put your butt in the air, and wave it around like ya just don't care!" Imagine me dragging out the "air" and "care" as "ay-ah" and "cay-ah." I can't imagine I would ever do this in public!
  3. Singing or dancing to any song on the radio. Sure, Christopher loves this now. But just wait a few years...my habit of singing in the car will have to be broken.

At the moment, these are the only things I can come up with, though I'm sure there's more. Anyone else care to comment on their own dorky parenting techniques (past or present)? Not only would you make me feel just a little less weird, but it would also be a great way for someone to de-lurk in our comments section (which I know there are some of you out there). :)

0 comments: